Still working hard to get this ginormous production run of tankards completed. With the bodies of the tankards finished, the next step was to make handles.
Don spent an entire day marking and cutting nearly 300 handles. He got about half of them sanded, then I took over sanding...
...while he routered the edges (1/4" roundover bit, for whoever's wondering).
Sanded but unroutered...
Sanded AND routered, ready to glue onto the tankards.
Friday evening and Saturday morning, we had a handle-glueing marathon. Good thing our houseguests weren't here to see the mess we created! The old sheets on the floor protected the carpets from glue and sawdust.
Next step is to coat the tankards with the first shot of varnish using a spray gun. On Saturday morning we started setting up to shoot the tankards outdoors, because with a production run this size we don't have enough surface area inside the shop. It was a perfect day for shooting outside - clear and hot. The first coat would dry rapidly under such conditions. However when he was just about to start shooting, the wind started blowing. Blowing wind and wet varnish do not mix. Grumbling, poor Don had to find enough surface area in the shop (he set up long boards across tables and equipment) to accommodate about 280 pieces.
Today's job will be to buff the tankards with quadruple-ought-steel wool, brush them off, and re-shoot. Tomorrow we coat the insides, whoo-hoo!
...Oh, and a pretty picture just for fun.