In looking over the inventory in my canning closet, I realized I was a bit short on fruit. I have plenty of apple pie filling canned up, but just plain fruit? Not so much.
So when I saw peaches on sale for $0.79/lb at a fruit stand in Coeur d'Alene, I bought two boxes.
The peaches were a little under ripe, so I let them sit for a few days to ripen. As a result, I lost some due to rot, and of course some we ate fresh. But I canned the majority of them.
To loosen the skin on peaches, dip them in near-boiling water for a minute or two...
...then put them in a bowl of cold water.
After this, the skins come right off.
Slicing the peeled peaches.
I got into a nice rhythm. While a batch of peaches sat in the hot water, I peeled the cooled peaches. While new peaches were cooling, I sliced the peeled peaches. Et cetera.
And I filled jars as I went.
When all the peaches were processed, this was the mess in the sink.
This all got dumped in the compost pile, which made the yellow jackets very very happy.
Meanwhile I made the syrup. I prefer a light syrup, which is a 2:1 ratio of water:sugar.
I also scalded my Tattler lids and gaskets.
I ended up with 19 quarts of peaches.
Adding boiling syrup to the jars.
I wiped the rims of the jars and then I was ready to put on the lids and gaskets.
Putting on the rings.
Peaches are canned using a water bath. My biggest pots held a total of eleven jars at a time. For quarts, they process for 30 minutes at a rolling boil.
Finished jars. These will be a wonderful addition to my pantry inventory.