Last year I put up a blog post called Saving Seven Hundred Dollars about how Don managed to save our enormous chest freezer by rebuilding the lid.
Our freezer sits outside on our north-facing porch. Since it's so big, we have no place to put it inside; but it's always done well on the porch so we're not fussed. However in the last couple of years the insulation in the lid has absorbed water and swelled, pushing the lid apart and causing the freezer to accumulate ice, which means it's hard to close the freezer lid all the way.
A year ago, Don removed the lid, removed the insulation, let it dry, and reassembled the lid. This worked very well for another twelve months, but lately we've been having the same trouble.
In winter it's not a huge deal (the outside temp is often lower than the inside temp anyway) but clearly this isn't a sustainable situation during the other three seasons of the year.
You can see how thick the ice is becoming inside the freezer. Time for another fix.
So Don removed the inner part of the freezer lid and took out the insulation. It was very heavy with ice, so he dumped it in the bathtub for a couple of days to dry. This time he had no plans to reuse the insulation since clearly water absorption will be a continuous problem.
Meanwhile we draped a heavy wool blanket over the freezer, put the lid shell down, and anchored it with firewood.
Don bought a sheet of Styrofoam, which he cut to the appropriate size to fit into the freezer lid.
Lydia is ready and waiting to help insert the Styrofoam into the lid.
Because Styrofoam can't be "flexed" to get it under the metal lip of the lid, Don had to cut the foam board into pieces and insert them that way, trimming as necessary.
Then he caulked all the pieces in place.
The Styrofoam is not as thick as the original insulation, so there was leftover room in the lid shell. After some discussion, Don went ahead and used some fresh insulation to finish filling the space. He tore it up and laid a layer over the Styrofoam. He also packed edges and cracks with insulation.
Then he put another layer of caulking around the perimeter of the outer lid...
...and we fitted the inner lid over it and buttoned it up.
Then we took a rubber mallet and hammered out much of the ice on the upper portion of the freezer, and Don re-fitted the lid onto the freezer.
So once again our enormous chest freezer is working beautifully. However the lid is no longer repairable. If things malfunction once again, we may have to break down and purchase a new chest freezer. If that happens, we may get two smaller freezers (instead of one large freezer) and then we'll be able to find room in the house for them. We'll see.
But meanwhile, we put off having to spend $700...again.