Saturday, February 20, 2010

In labor? Not sure...

For the last week or two we've been on pins and needles, waiting for our Jersey cow Matilda to have her calf. Tonight might be the night!

I went out a few minutes ago to tuck her into her stall (note: 6:45 pm Pacific time) and saw a strand of mucus hanging from her vulva. While I pretty much recognize the signs when a Dexter is about to give birth, this is my first experience with a I'm less sure.

Regardless, she's safe and dry in her stall right now, a good place to give birth.

Normally we don't like our cows having calves in mid-winter (this is north Idaho, after all), but this winter has been so mild that it's more like April than February. If she has to give birth in winter, this is the best winter we could have for doing so.

This could be a false alarm, but I don't think so. I'll keep everyone posted, and hopefully get some pictures of the delivery.

UPDATE SUNDAY MORNING: Nothing yet. The waiting game continues!


  1. We will be praying for a safe delivery and a healthy calf and that Matilda does well. And maybe a heifer calf??


  2. Hey, *you're* the one who told me to watch for that mucus, so it's *all your fault* if this is a false alarm. (smile)

    - Patrice

  3. Everything is a bit out of whack this year. No snow in N. Idaho? Matilda is the last thing you need to worry about. She will do fine and it might be a little bull calf.

  4. Our Naomi is due any day now. She is the daughter of our Nuala, who looks a lot like your Matilda. And Matilda was the name of our first Jersey!

    Best of luck for the delivery!